ZimbabweAfrica ZimbabweAfrica November 27, 2020 Find out more News July 30, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 In encouraging move, leading international broadcasters allowed to return to Zimbabwe Zimbabwean journalist Hopewell Chin’ono denied bail RSF_en Receive email alerts Organisation Reporters Without Borders welcomes the Zimbabwean government’s decision to allow the British Broadcasting Corporation and the US television news channel CNN to work in Zimbabwe again. The BBC has not had a presence in the country since its Harare correspondent, Joseph Winter, was expelled in 2001. CNN had to pull out of Zimbabwe in 2002.“After many years of government mistrust of international news media, the return of these two leading international broadcasters is a decisive step in the restoration of press freedom in Zimbabwe,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We encourage Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s government to move ahead with plans to amend the 2002 press law, in order to eliminate draconian articles that were used to suppress independent media,” the press freedom organisation added. “The promised Zimbabwe Media Council must be quickly created and its members must be guaranteed complete independence.”The government gave the BBC and CNN permission to resume working in Zimbabwe today. The two news organisations have not yet announced when they will reopen their bureaux or be officially represented in the country again.The decision was a result of a meeting on 19 July between information minister Webster Shamu, the BBC’s world news editor, Jon Williams, and its Africa bureau editor, Sarah Halfpenny. Shamu met CNN’s Johannesburg bureau chief, Kim Norgaard, a few days later.Reporters Without Borders has been told that the Zimbabwe Media Council’s installation is imminent. Promised since early 2008, this new independent entity will be tasked with issuing licences to newspapers and will hopefully pave the way for the independent press’s reemergence in Zimbabwe. The parliament is due to begin a series of meetings on 3 August with a view to choosing the council’s commissioners.Reporters Without Borders has long been campaigning for the reform of the 2002 Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the 2007 Interception of Communications Act, which together gave the government almost total control over the Zimbabwe’s media. Reports Follow the news on Zimbabwe News The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa News to go further November 12, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Zimbabwean court must free imprisoned journalist who is unwell September 1, 2020 Find out more
Raghu_Ramaswamy/iStockBy JOSH MARGOLIN, ABC News(NEW YORK) — In some cases, they wanted to join the military or police so they would be able to commit acts of violence toward members of minority groups.In others, they planned to join the military or police to learn how to wage war against members of those minority groups.Based on investigations between 2016 and 2020, agents and analysts with the FBI’s division in San Antonio concluded that white supremacists and other right-wing extremists would “very likely seek affiliation with military and law enforcement entities in furtherance of” their ideologies, according to a confidential intelligence assessment issued late last month.The document, obtained by ABC News, was distributed to law enforcement agencies both in Texas and elsewhere in the country. It focuses on extremists inspired by the white-supremacist publication “Siege,” which served as motivation for the neo-Nazi group known as “Atomwaffen Division,” among others. The report is titled “Siege-Inspired Actors Very Likely Seek Military and Law Enforcement Affiliation, Increasing Risk of Tradecraft Proliferation and Color of Law Offenses in the FBI San Antonio Area of Responsibility.”Conclusions in the assessment were based on information from records and informants, some of whom had “excellent access,” the FBI authors wrote in the Feb. 25 document.“In the long term, FBI San Antonio assesses [racially motivated violent extremists] successfully entering military and law enforcement careers almost certainly will gain access to non-public tradecraft and information, enabling them to enhance operational security and develop new tactics in and beyond the FBI San Antonio” region, the document said.FBI spokesperson Katherine Gulotta said that “FBI field offices routinely share information with their local law enforcement partners to assist in protecting the communities they serve.” She did not specifically address the content of the report.Critics say the document once again shows the nation’s top law enforcement agency has been slow to deal with the problem of white-supremacist infiltration of police and the military, even as FBI agents watched evidence mounting.“When we asked the FBI last year to testify about white supremacists executing plans to infiltrate law enforcement entities across America, the bureau refused and told us it had no evidence that racist infiltration was a problem,” Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said in a statement. “Now, the January insurrection — and the growing evidence of off-duty law enforcement officers being involved in the attack on Congress — and this newly leaked report confirm in my mind that the FBI’s failure to level with the American people about organized racist infiltration of law enforcement is having dangerous and deadly consequences.”Raskin, the chairman of the House Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Subcommittee, led a hearing last year on white supremacy and the federal government’s response to the problem. He also released a report detailing FBI warnings about the way white supremacists infiltrate law enforcement, and said the bureau was reluctant to deal with the problem during the Trump administration.“We are continuing to press the FBI for information about how it plans to counteract the contagion of white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement bodies,” Raskin said after learning of the newly released report. “The FBI must answer specifically for what it is doing to combat white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement. It must work to root out officers who seek state power to terrorize our communities under color of law.”Addressing the issue of violent extremism, FBI Director Christopher Wray told lawmakers last week that the bureau has been “sounding the alarm” about the rising domestic terror threat for “a number of years now.”Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Wray said that there are currently 2,000 domestic terrorism investigations, up from almost 1,000 when he first started in 2017.“Whenever we’ve had the chance we’ve tried to emphasize that this is a top concern and remained so for the FBI,” Wray said. “The FBI will not tolerate agitators and extremists who plan or committed violence. Period. And that goes for violent extremists, of any stripe.”The authors of the Feb. 25 report wrote that their assessment is “based on evidence [extremists] expressed a desire to join the military and law enforcement primarily to obtain tradecraft to prepare for and initiate a collapse of society, specifically by engaging in violence against the US government and specified racial and ethnic groups. Online peers encouraged them to seek these careers and [extremists] built relationships with associates seeking military employment, focusing on the associates’ current and future martial skills.”In addition, the report says extremists are “likely to seek to exploit familial and social connections when pursuing military and law enforcement employment, reducing obstacles and increasing opportunities … to acquire tradecraft.”Since the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, lawmakers and officials have increasingly focused on the issue of white supremacy and other types of violent extremism in the military and law enforcement. According to research by news organizations including The New York Times, at least 30 people with law enforcement training have been tied to the events of the insurrection, which left five dead, including a Capitol Hill police officer.The Pentagon is so concerned about right-wing extremism and white supremacy in the ranks that the entire military has been ordered to do a one-day “stand down” to address the problem.“This is behavior that can really tear at the fabric of our institution,” Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told ABC News’ Martha Raddatz Sunday on This Week. “And so we want to make sure that our troops are reminded of what our values are, reminded of the oath that we took coming in.”Former FBI Agent Michael German, whose expertise was infiltrating white supremacist groups for the bureau, said he continues to be troubled by the way FBI leadership is dealing with the problem.“In 2006, the FBI warned in writing that white supremacists seek to infiltrate law enforcement, and its 2015 Counterterrorism Policy Guide instructed agents conducting domestic terrorism investigations of white supremacists and far-right militias to modify their tactics because the subjects of these investigations often have ‘active links’ to law enforcement,” German said. “Yet when Congress sought answers about what the FBI was doing to address this threat, FBI managers disavowed the intelligence.”German, now an author and fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School, said that the new report from San Antonio “makes clear that white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement and recruitment from the ranks continued to be a problem even as their superiors disavowed it. When FBI managers won’t accept intelligence reports coming from their agents working the streets, it is no wonder intelligence failures like the Capitol attack occur.”“The problem isn’t a lack of intelligence or barriers to collection,” German said. “It is that FBI managers continue to ignore the intelligence they receive if it doesn’t fit their preferred narratives about what the terrorist threat looks like.”FBI spokesperson Gulotta did not respond to ABC News’ questions about the criticism.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
She said that despite being in Medan, she was still attending online classes given by her lecturers at the university. She expressed confidence that the Chinese government would be able to deal with the virus.“Hopefully, Wuhan will return to normal so the students, including me, can return to finish our studies,” Diza told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.She said there were 14 Indonesian students studying at her university in Wuhan. They were all residing in the university dormitory.“When [the outbreak occurred], we were not allowed to leave the dormitory until the Indonesian government eventually repatriated us on Feb. 1,” she said. It has been a week since Diza Laila returned to her family in Medan, North Sumatra, after being repatriated earlier this month from Wuhan, China, where she was studying.The 18-year-old student underwent a 14-day quarantine in Natuna, Riau Islands, before she was allowed to go home over fears of the spread of the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19).Diza is a student at the Wuhan University of Technology, majoring in computer science. When the outbreak hit the city, Wuhan turned into a ghost town as no one had the courage to leave home, Diza said. The commercial areas were closed as well. Diza said she first heard about the outbreak in Wuhan from the Chinese government in early December 2019. She said she was afraid and immediately wanted to go home to Medan.“Alhamdulillah [praise to God] I am in Medan now,” she said happily, despite the fact that certain friends and neighbors seemed to be afraid to physically interact with her after she arrived on Feb. 16. “I can understand that – because of the lack of information,” said Diza, who felt relieved when she was declared free of the virus.North Sumatra Health Agency head Alwi Mujahit Hasibuan said he was happy to know that the three Medan students in Wuhan, including Diaz, had reached home.“They are not infected with the virus. There is nothing to worry about in interacting with them,” said Alwi as he received Diza at his office on Monday.He said that no North Sumatran residents or foreign visitors had the virus so far. He said the 84 people who had undergone house quarantine in the province had been declared healthy.“All the 84 people have returned to their normal activities,” said Alwi, adding that their house quarantine ended on Sunday.Topics :
The son-in-law of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, Bobby Nasution, officially registered himself as a member of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) on Thursday in a bid to run in the 2020 Medan mayoral race in North Sumatra, in September.Bobby officially became a member of the PDI-P after signing a statement letter at the PDI-P North Sumatra office on Thursday afternoon.Bobby said he decided to join the PDI-P to follow in the footsteps of his father-in-law, President Jokowi, who is also a member of the party.”Any son must want to follow in the footsteps of his father,” Bobby told the press after his inauguration as a party member.Bobby refuted the claim that he had to be a member of the PDI-P to receive support from the party for the 2020 Medan mayoral election.”There’s no requirement that I have to be a member of any party [to receive support for the mayoral election]. Like I said, I just want to follow in the footsteps of my [father-in-law],” Bobby said.Read also: Jokowi vows he ‘won’t be campaigning’ for son, son-in-law in upcoming mayoral racesBobby said he had not received an official recommendation from any party to run in the election. He also said he had not chosen a deputy candidate.”I haven’t got a recommendation [letter] yet. I’m frustrated to think about [choosing] a deputy candidate,” he said.Bobby expressed hope that he would receive support from other parties in the upcoming election.”Even though I am a member of the PDI-P, I hope to gain support from all parties to develop and build Medan,” he said.Head of the North Sumatra chapter of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), Japorman Saragih, said there were two party members that would run in the 2020 election, namely Bobby and the city’s acting mayor, Akhyar Nasution.”Both [party members] still have a great chance [to be nominated as a mayor candidate], but [the final decision] will be with chairwoman Ibu Megawati. Nobody knows [who will be nominated as the party’s candidate] except [Megawati],” Japorman said.He explained that the PDI-P would seek to form a coalition with other parties in the 2020 mayoral election.[RA::Three parties ready to nominate Gibran if PDI-P picks another candidate in Surakartahttps://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/02/15/three-parties-ready-to-nominate-gibran-if-pdi-p-picks-another-candidate-in-surakarta.html]”The PDI-P is open [to a coalition], we can’t work alone. We need cooperation,” he said.Last month, the Golkar Party joined the NasDem Party in announcing its support for Bobby’s plan to run for Medan mayor.“We have long supported Bobby and were waiting for the right moment to nominate him,” Golkar deputy secretary-general Ahmad Doli Kurnia Tanjung told reporters after opening Golkar’s North Sumatra regional conference in Medan on Monday.NasDem chairman Surya Paloh said the party decided to support Bobby as the President’s son-in-law had earned the top spot in the party’s recent internal survey.“We will give our utmost support to Bobby. He did well in our survey — too well, even,” Surya said. (nal)Topics :