first_imgNews to go further FranceEurope – Central Asia December 21, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court bans film of wartime collaborator’s trial News Reporters Without Borders protested today against a Paris court’s ban on a cable TV station showing lengthy extracts from the trial of Second World War collaborator Maurice Papon, who held a top position during the Nazi occupation of France.The organisation said the ban deprived French citizens of the right to be informed about the history of their country and expressed surprise that showing film of a trial that had been open to the public could be seen as harming the rights of the accused.The court said the broadcasts, coinciding with Papon’s appeal next month against his 10-year jail sentence for complicity in crimes against humanity, would be “prejudicial to a fair hearing” of the appeal. Papon, secretary-general of the prefecture of the southwestern Gironde department of France during the war, had asked for the ban. The cable TV station Histoire planned to broadcast 80 hours of Papon’s 1997-98 Bordeaux trial in 40 episodes between 13 January and 21 February. It obtained official permission to do so in June. News RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story RSF_en May 10, 2021 Find out more June 2, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Follow the news on France “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Organisation June 4, 2021 Find out more Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts News FranceEurope – Central Asia last_img