Grupo Taca Airlines provided special free flights to the mainland, quickly touching down and taking off again to scoop up more tourists. Some 1,000 people were evacuated from the Honduran island of Roatan, popular for its pristine reefs and diving resorts. Another 1,000 were removed from low-lying coastal areas and smaller islands. “I’m very disappointed,” scuba diver Bob Shearer, 43, of Butler, Pa., said at the airport in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. “I only got seven dives in. I hope they didn’t jump the gun too soon.” Felix’s top winds weakened slightly to 135 mph as it headed west, but forecasters warned that it could strengthen again before landfall along the Miskito Coast early today. From there, it was projected to rake northern Honduras, slam into southern Belize on Wednesday and then cut across northern Guatemala and southern Mexico, well south of Texas. A storm surge of more than 18 feet above normal tides could devastate Indian communities along the Miskito Coast, a swampy, isolated region straddling the Honduras-Nicaragua border where thousands live in wooden shacks, get around in canoes and subsist on fish, beans, rice, cassava and plantains. “There’s nowhere to go here,” said teacher Sodeida Rodriguez, 26, who was hunkering down in a concrete shelter. HONDURAS: Most take free flights. Thousands of Miskito Indians are stranded on coast. By Esteban Felix THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN PEDRO SULA, Honduras – Planes shuttled tourists from island resorts in a desperate airlift Monday as Hurricane Felix bore down on Honduras and Belize. But thousands of Miskito Indians were stranded along a swampy coastline where the Category 4 storm was expected to make landfall. The only path to safety is up rivers and across lakes that are too shallow for regular boats, but many lack gasoline for long journeys. Provincial health official Efrain Burgos said shelters were being prepared, and medicine and sanitation kits were being brought in, but that 18,000 people must find their own way to higher ground. “We’re asking the people who are on the coasts to find a way to safer areas because we don’t have the capability to transport so many people,” he said. “The houses are made of wood. They’re going to be completely swept away. They’re not safe.” The storm was following the same path as 1998’s Hurricane Mitch, a sluggish storm that stalled for a week over Central America, killing nearly 11,000 people. But Felix was expected to maintain a much more rapid pace. By Monday afternoon, crashing waves reached 15 feet higher than normal on Honduras’ coast, but there was no rain yet. “We are ready to face an eventual tragedy,” said Roatan fire Chief Douglas Fajardo. Most tourists took the free flights out, but locals prepared to ride out the storm. “We know it’s a tremendous hurricane that’s coming,” said real estate worker Estella Marazzito. A U.S. CH-47 Chinook helicopter from the Soto Cano Air Base on Honduras evacuated 19 Americans – tourists and members of the military – from Roatan to the city of La Ceiba, Honduras, the U.S. Southern Command said. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Felix could dump up to 12 inches of rain in isolated areas. In the highland capital of Tegucigalpa, more than 100 miles inland, authorities cleared vendors from markets prone to flooding. Across the border in Belize City, skies grew increasingly cloudy and winds kicked up as residents boarded windows and lined up for gas. Tourists competed for the last seats on flights to Atlanta and Miami. Police went door-to-door forcing evacuations. Liquor sales were banned, and stores were running out of supplies. “I just wish they had more airplanes to take care of everyone who has to leave,” said Atlanta, Ga., resident Mitzi Carr, 48, who cut short her weeklong vacation on Hatchet Caye. Belize is still cleaning up from last month’s Hurricane Dean, which killed 28 people as it plowed through the Caribbean and slammed into Mexico as a Category 5 storm. Dean damaged crops everywhere it passed, including an estimated $100 million in Belize alone. Erol Semplis, 54, helped a friend board up his house in Belize City, before heading to his own house to do the same. He planned to leave with his girlfriend later Monday. “A lot of people take chances with their lives,” he said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Internationally renowned artists have released a song urging world leaders to reach a global agreement during the United Nations climate conference in December to limit the impacts of climate change.Twelve musical acts, including Sir Paul McCartney, Jon Bon Jovi, Leona Lewis and UN Goodwill Ambassador Angelique Kidjo, released the single ‘Love Song to the Earth,’ which is now available to download from iTunes and Apple Music. The artists, producers and directors of the song – as well as Apple – are donating their respective proceeds to Friends of the Earth US and the UN Foundation.Written by Toby Gad, Natasha Bedingfield, John Shanks and Sean Paul the single, Love Song to the Earth highlights the importance of taking care of the things we love.Bedingfield said: “Many people turn a blind eye arguing that everything is ok environmentally. The song reminds us that having ownership of our world means taking care of it. With this song we wanted to talk about the environment in a way that would help people feel empowered to do something rather than be paralyzed by fear.”The song aims to reach new audiences with the message that the time to act on climate change is now is meant to encourage people to “Share the Love Song” and “Take Climate Action Now” by signing a petition.This petition will be delivered to world leaders at the beginning of the the 21st meeting of the parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), widely referred to as COP-21 in Paris in December. This petition is part of a unified global movement supporting the UN’s call for a meaningful, universal, global climate change agreement.“The support, engagement, and passion of the creative community are key to engaging new audiences in the call for a meaningful and universal climate change agreement. When UN Member States gather in Paris this December, the voices of everyone, especially the entertainment industry, will help ensure the best outcome possible for a better future for all.” said Aaron Sherinian, chief communications and marketing officer of the UN Foundation.Released on the 4th of September, the song will eventually become available on all music platforms and streaming services worldwide as of September 11th.Accompanying the song is a “lyric video” produced by Jerry Cope. This will also be released on the 11th of September and will feature breathtaking views from around the world. As well as this, scientists and celebrities will be shown holding up signs saying urging viewers to “Keep It safe” to encourage their fans to get involved.“The climate crisis is near a global tipping point, we hope everyone who hears this anthem takes action to encourage our political leaders to keep our planet safe, by keeping fossil fuels in the ground and moving toward 100 per cent renewable energy,” said Erich Pica, president of Friends of the Earth US.Other artists featuring on the track include Sheryl Crow, Fergie, Colbie Caillat, Johnny Rzeznik, Krewella, Kelsea Ballerini, Nicole Scherzinger, Christina Grimmie, Victoria Justice and Q’orianka Kilcher.
Advertisement The Art Gallery of Ontario has acquired a French impressionist painting that had been barred from leaving the country because of its “national importance.”Gustave Caillebotte’s 1892 masterpiece Blue Irises, Garden at Petit Gennevilliers, depicts a scene from the French artist’s own garden. It will be on display starting Saturday.It was purchased with the help of a Heritage Department grant of $540,000, which the AGO acknowledges was almost half of the purchase price. The rest came from bequests from the R. Fraser Elliott estate and a bequest from F.W.G. Fitzgerald. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Gustave Caillebotte’s 1892 masterpiece Blue Irises, Garden at Petit Gennevilliers, is handled by art installers in an undated photo. The Art Gallery of Ontario has purchased the painting. (Dean Tomlinson/The Canadian Press/AGO) Login/Register With: Twitter Facebook Advertisement Advertisement
Napoli’s lawyer says defender Kalidou Koulibaly will appear in court for his ban appeal ‘to make people understand’ how it feels to be racially abused.Last month, Koulibaly was subjected to monkey chants during Napoli’s 1-0 defeat to Inter but after he protested a second bookable offence, he was slammed with a two-match ban.“This is a story out of the ordinary. That’s why Koulibaly will also be there before the judge,” Mattia Grassani told Radio Marte, according to Football Italia.“The lad wants to make people understand how he felt throughout the game and why he reacted the way he did, which is unlike Kalidou.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“We’re expecting a call between tomorrow and Wednesday, and we’ll try to get his ban revoked.“The Muntari case? In that case they said the referee hadn’t grasped the mood of the player, so we’ll ask the judge if [referee Paolo] Mazzoleni perceived that Koulibaly wasn’t protesting for the yellow but rather those chants, which had hassled him from the start.“In our opinion that didn’t happen. The bases of these two cases are therefore different because in Muntari’s case, he left the field and was sent off.“In this case Kalidou applauded and was then dismissed, although the causes are the same.”
Dan Cohen AUTHOR By Barry SteinbergWe recently honored and buried Sen. John McCain. The accolades bestowed upon him were rich and well deserved. His commitment to fairness and the proper role of government in that regard merit no further comment than that a grateful nation has lost a valued and iconic public servant.The military base closure community is particularly indebted to Sen. McCain. He, unlike many of his colleagues, understood the domestic implications of warfighting and the toll that training activities and industrial operations at military bases have on our physical environment. In response to those consequences and the implications for redevelopment of former military bases, Sen. McCain sponsored and forcefully advocated for passage of section 330 of the 1993 National Defense Authorization Act, a provision of law that indemnifies owners, tenants and others in control of property closed pursuant to a base closure law for the environmental losses, costs, expenses and liabilities incurred as a result of military activities while the property was used by the Department of Defense (DOD). Without this protection, defense communities and developers were concerned the transfer and reuse of closed bases would be plagued by legal issues, environmental risk and costly delay.Unsurprisingly, DOD forcefully opposed the legislation, arguing that an open-ended indemnity obligation posed a risk to its budget. With equal vigor, Sen. McCain forcefully underscored the fairness and overwhelming need for the language he proposed adding to the authorization bill. Here are excerpts from the statement he made on the Senate floor in September 1992 during the chamber’s debate of the legislation:Under current law, receivers of closed base property can be successfully sued for pollution caused by Defense Department activities. Such suits might include environmental cleanup orders or civil damage claims.This situation is unjust and it must be remedied. We simply cannot ask states or businesses to assume potentially devastating liability for conditions they did not create. Moreover, the federal government has a duty to accept full and unconditional responsibility for its actions.Last year, I introduced legislation to ensure that the federal government remains fully responsible for hazardous waste problems at military installations after base closure. The bill requires the Department of Defense to defend, hold harmless, and indemnify innocent receivers of the property against claims arising from pollution caused by military activities. This protection is absolutely critical if we are to promote the timely and efficient transmission of base property to new and productive uses. How many states or employers are anxious to acquire base property without such protection?… In many cases, hazardous dumping by the military occurred prior to the enactment of our environmental laws. Such dumping probably would not be defined as negligent. Under the committee bill that would mean receivers of closed base property could not receive indemnification. The unfortunate result is that the innocent property owner pays for Uncle Sam’s mistakes.… Mr. President, base closure is a difficult and traumatic period for local economies which have grown dependent on the employment and economic activity provided by defense installations.We have a federal obligation to help facilitate a safe and timely transfer of base property to other productive uses. We cannot possibly achieve that goal if those who would put that property to use must risk everything in the process.We must do what is right — ensure, without condition, that the federal government will defend and indemnify states and employers who are sued over pollution caused by federal activities. My amendment will accomplish that goal.(138 Cong. Rec. S13982-01 (daily ed. Sept. 18, 1992), 1992 WL 229896; Pls. App. at Tab 18)The appeal to basic fairness is characteristic of Sen. McCain. He was not swayed by assertions that the public fisc would be at risk, recognizing instead that indemnification for DOD-caused contamination was essential to redevelopment and it was the right thing to do.We at ADC are beholden to the senator’s wisdom, foresight and willingness to carry the fight to the floor of Congress and ensure its passage. A belated thank you is well deserved.Barry Steinberg is a partner at Kutak Rock and an expert on environmental law for BRAC redevelopment. He has been speaking at ADC events for the past 28 years.Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Nathan Burke
A general view of Reliance Jio headquarters is seen on the outskirts of Mumbai, India, June 1, 2016.Reuters fileReliance Industries plans to spend a further $2.8 billion on its Jio telecoms business in the current quarter, it said on Monday, taking its investment in the venture to more than $30 billion.Reliance derives the bulk of its revenue from its core refining and petrochemicals operations, but the group has bet big on Reliance Jio Infocomm. The project backed by Reliance owner Mukesh Ambani launched in September in a flurry of cheap phones, free voice and cut-price data plans that have forced rivals to respond.Announcing record profit for the 2016/17 financial year, Reliance said the additional investment is required for its fibre network as it expands Jio’s 4G reach.Analysts and investors have expressed concern over the time it will take Jio to recover its heavy outlay, but its head of strategy, Anshuman Thakur, said there would be a “drastic drop” in investment after the current quarter.Jio racked up 108.9 million subscribers by the end of March, Reliance said. It started charging for internet data this month, after more than seven months of free services, but has kept prices low.”Jio is witnessing the largest migration from free to paid services in history,” said Reliance Chairman Ambani.Ambani’s aggressive strategy to capture market share has led to rivals consolidating. His younger brother Anil Ambani’s Reliance Communications merged with smaller rival Aircel and in February India’s biggest telecoms company Bharti Airtel bought out the Indian operations of Norway’s Telenor.That was followed by Britain’s Vodafone announcing a merger with Idea to create the biggest telecoms company in India. Mukesh AmbaniReliance Jio official website (screen-shot)Jio, however, controls the highest chunk of 4G airwaves across India and has introduced a range of features to woo consumers in one of the world’s most competitive telecoms markets, from mobile phone apps to its own handset brand.Reliance earlier reported a 12.8 percent rise in the group’s fourth-quarter standalone net profit, topping analyst estimates, citing higher margins at its refining and petrochemicals business.The gross refining margin per barrel of crude — a key profitability gauge for refiners — was $11.50 for the quarter, against $10.80 a year earlier.Net profit on a standalone basis, which takes into account only the refining, petrochemicals, oil and gas exploration businesses, rose to 81.51 billion rupees ($1.26 billion) for the three months to March 31, beating analysts’ expectations of 80.10 billion rupees.On a consolidated basis, including newer businesses such as telecoms, retail and US shale gas operations, Reliance’s net profit rose 16.6 percent to 80.5 billion rupees.
Congrats to @carlosbeltran15 on an amazing career! We only played together for a short time but what a ride we had! I learned a lot about what being a veteran means and the impact we can have. You’re an amazing teammate and leader. What a way to bow out… a World Champion!— Justin Verlander (@JustinVerlander) November 13, 2017 Share Congratulations on a spectacular and storied career, @carlosbeltran15! Thank you for all you’ve done in Houston. Forever a champion. pic.twitter.com/SKz4O0Eol0— Houston Astros (@astros) November 13, 2017 An absolutely amazing career by Carlos Beltran. Here are all of his hits from 2001 on. pic.twitter.com/HYQlqCUHGQ— Daren Willman (@darenw) November 13, 2017 Photo via Astros’ website. Carlos Beltran made the announcement Monday, Nov. 13, 2017, 12 days after the Houston Astros beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 of the World Series.Carlos Beltran is retiring at age 40 after winning his first World Series title in his 20th major league season.The outfielder made the announcement Monday, 12 days after the Houston Astros beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 of the World Series.Beltran is a nine-time All-Star who won the 1999 AL Rookie of the Year award and three Gold Gloves.His production dropped dramatically this year. He hit .295 with 29 homers and 93 RBIs for the New York Yankees and Texas in 2016. He then batted .231 with 14 homers and 51 RBIs for Houston.He finishes with a .279 average, 435 homers, 1,587 RBIs and 312 stolen bases. He also has played for Kansas City, the New York Mets, San Francisco and St. Louis.https://t.co/fVKzuZEwMv— Carlos Beltran (@carlosbeltran15) November 13, 2017
Known as the “Queen of Creole Cuisine”, Leah Chase, co-founder of the renowned Dooky Chase Restaurant in New Orleans, La., has fed countless celebrities, including: Duke Ellington, Quincy Jones, James Baldwin and Ray Charles and others. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama have also dined in her restaurant. At the museum, Culinary historian Jessica Harris will engage Chase in an informative conversation about her life, creativity, and entrepreneurial drive to take Dooky Chase’s Restaurant from its promising beginnings as a sandwich shop to a thriving restaurant. Copies of Leah Chase’s books, “And Still I Cook” and the “Dooky Chase Cookbook” will be available for sale and signing. The event is scheduled to be held on July 16 from 3 p.m.-7 p.m. in the Oprah Winfrey Theatre at the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, 1400 Constitution Ave., NW. Admission is free. Register for this event at event.etix.com.“Queen of Creole Cuisine”, Leah Chase, co-founder of the renowned Dooky Chase Restaurant in New Orleans, La.